We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Re: I Remember When...

Logging in with my very first character (My Dwarf Guardian) and standing in the square of the Dwarf starting area looking out at how realistic looking the mountains were, and just listening to the wind... I was instantly hooked.

Finding the Shire for the first time on my Elf Hunter (around lvl 12) by traveling in through the north gate from Erid Luin and enjoying the shear awesomesauceness of it's atmosphere so much, I stayed for weeks and finished every quest I could find.
    0096 2251 2110 8105

Old sally was a horse..then a pig, then a horse...

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigcitizen View Post
    I remember you did not have to be kindred with anyone to have a great deal on repairs and discounts.

Just go see your friendly grocer in Bree!!!!!!

Please bring back the Bree Grocer!!!! The town hall was always packed and it was a great way to meet new people!!!!!!!
    omg, he was soo awesome

Skorp, HNT - Tailor | Skorpling, BRN - Wesponsmith
    Ambein, Human LRM - Scholar | Skorpedo, WDN - Woodworker | Lengram, RNK - Jeweller
    Eruchin - Formerly of Nimrodel Server | Current Arkenstoner

I also remember when I left the Shire for the very first time ever as a hobbit.
    I remember walking a few steps onto the Brandywine Bridge and hearing the bridge music.
    I stopped, turned around, waved goodbye to the Shire and yelled, "Goodbye Shire, I'll miss you!"

I remember when I didn't have anyone on my ignore list, ingame or in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I remember when I didn't have anyone on my ignore list, ingame or in the forums
    Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysoprase View Post
    Well, honestly, I think a lot of the people who don't think it's frightening say so because they've already been there a million times. My brother and my mom have started playing, and their characters are in the old forest for the first time. They're terrified of it. I've had to walk over to their computers just to help them navigate out of it. My brother still won't go in there if his map is on cooldown or he won't be able to find his way out.

It's easy for those of us who have been playing for a year, but it's still hard for the newbies.

Open map. "Hey, this Old Forest is so easy now..."

I remember I used the Withywindle as a guide.

I remember returning to the Old Forest at level 24 to complete Idealism.

I remember when the Ram Duath quests were level 43, and you could only squeeze out to 41 in the Trollshaws, and asking for help killing spiders in the Ram Duath. (No Forochel).

I remember grinding Iron Crown Necromancers for LotB.

I remember having the key map in front of me when I made Mandola (first toon).

I remember when solo creeps ran the moors, but just bunched up.

I remember a vent-less moors.

I remember making Bucephalus and thinking 57 infamy was a lot for 3 hours.

I remember the 1 inf per kill in raid.

I remember stealth making you run swim in water (which a lot of burgs did do, only to get on my /ignore and report list).

I remember /sitting in mid-air.

I remember dancing in water.

I remember visiting Evendim in Roheryn, and thought Helegrod was where Annuminas was.

I remember begging people to boil my hides because I didn't know I could mail them to an alt.

I remember when there were no Gold Spammers...

My 2 copper *plink* *plink*
    Bephwyn - 60 Loremaster
    Ring Guard of Rivendell
    Elendilmir *jingle* *jangle*

I remember going to Angmar at level 12 and it was actually a big deal.
    I remember people remembering me as the guy who went to Angmar at level 12 4 months later.
    I remember when I was friends with Runic Knights

My experience in this game has been long, complex, and sometimes troubling =/
    Post count +1

I remeber the first time I was in Estilden and a occ tell came out that there was a Dragon in the forest. (bleakwind) and forming a quick PUG to go kill it. We all thought it was an in Game event no one had ever seen him before. I thought wow that was a big dragon I wonder if it is the only one in the game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000004dd79/signature.png]Morrick[/charsig]

Linwe, my elf loremaster was my first character. It was so amazing to learn how to play. Ered Luin was just gorgeous. And then to finally get adventurous enough to see where "that" road lead... and find the Shire!!!

I was delirious with joy running all over the Shire seeing the sights!

I remember LONGING to get to Rivendell and finally having a go at it at level 18... I had NO IDEA where to go of course once I crossed the Bruinen-- dodging purple mobs every 5 steps... and then once I finally got there-- oh my oh my..... I was straight up dumbfounded.... just wandered around looking at every square inch of the place... and then very gingerly going up the pass into the Misty Mtns for a quicky peak...

When I first started playing (open beta) it was my very first MMO, I had zero idea what on earth I was doing . I somehow totally missed getting the prologue quest so when I would see folks in the LFF channel looking for help with chapter 'n' I could not for the life of me figure out what they were talking about...

I remember that first venture into the lone lands and being totally terrified.. I was probably around level 12 or so and nosing about to see what I might see and wandered into Minas Eriol.. promptly hoofed right back out of there!

The Old Forest scared me stupid.

The first time I saw a gold ore node I practically jumped for joy and could not wait until I could actually mine it!

I played a loremaster (heck of a choice for a newb noob!!!!) and back then pretty much no one had any appreciation for loremasters. I could not get a group to save my life... so I solo'd almost exclusively until around level 22...
    then finally two dwarf champions took pity on me -- and I ultimately joined their kin which then became The Council of Eriador of which I am now part of the leader triumverate... LOL

This thread has been an awesome read.... it brings back the wonder and delight of those first-time experieces!

Talking Re: I Remember When...

My first character was a lore-master too, Linwe. I deleted her at like level 12 but she was my first. I remember getting my raven, and how every single other lore-master without exception had a raven named "Nevermore" or "Poe". I didn't want to be unoriginal so I named mine "Quackenbush". Forgot completely about it until I was going over old pictures I had taken.

I remember rolling an elf champion and getting her to around level 8. I wanted to delete her, but since I wasn't going to buy the game (wasn't worth it) I decided to take her exploring. I went to the Shire and it was so beautiful. I was taking pictures of everything so I could remember it later. Of course, seeing the Shire convinced me that the game WAS worth buying =P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120b0000000031a0/01005/signature.png]Willicar[/charsig]

I remember the Battle of Rivendell at the end of closed Beta. All those drakes try to burn Rivendell! To Arms!

...this thread was only 2 or 3 pages long... it's nice to see it's still around and going strong!

Remember-on everyone...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/02204000000003961/01008/signature.png]Bryndle[/charsig]
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle"
    ~ Mal Reynolds

I remember when I finally learned what the red squiggly line above a mob's head meant! /lights on

Sad to know how many people still don't.

I remember when the only way to get a colnors scale was to pay the gathering hobbits in the shire for hides.

I remember when mining ancient iron at lv 14 was cool and not gold farmerish.

I remember getting into the first instance of archet and shouting to the world IM HERE! FINALLY IVE MADE IT TO MIDDLE EARTH.

I remember freezing the first time I tried to finish the instance.

I remember finishing the first instance and realizing that no one heard my first shout out.

I remember shouting out again when I finally got to archet that I had finally made it to middle earth after all those years.

I still wonder where that first instance took place.... West of the horse farms up the hill? Or east of Chetwood up the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysoprase View Post
    I remember getting my raven, and how every single other lore-master without exception had a raven named "Nevermore" or "Poe".
    I thought I was being so clever with "Quoth", the raven. Until I saw someone else's raven in Archet with the same name :-)

I remember in closed beta needing to kill Sergeant Applewood at the Blackwold HQ and he was not respawning. There were two or three "corpses" of Sergeant Applewood but he would not respawn... eventually a lot of people in Bree-Land at the time needed to kill him and there were constant regional/ooc/lff tells asking "Is Applewood up or is he still broken?" This went on for a couple of days... don't think I ever actually killed him.

Same thing with that stupid well in Staddle... I couldn't for the life of me put that damn clean water back in the well (it was bugged)... and had no clue that all you had to do was click the progress bar to drop it so I just stood there... and stood there... and stood there until I finally dropped it.

Also remember following the progress of the game development when it was still called Middle Earth Online... and being so excited about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    I thought I was being so clever with "Quoth", the raven. Until I saw someone else's raven in Archet with the same name :-)
    Yeah, I named mine "Elinore" thinking it would be a little more obscure (plus it almost sounds like a Sindarin name) but alas, I've seen a couple of others with their raven named exactly the same.

What is it about ravens in the Collective Consciousness of the English speaking world that make us instinctively equate them with E. A. Poe regardless of the setting? I think we need to consult a fifth-generation Jungian Psychologist for an answer to that riddle.
    ~NOST CORUFAER~
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting
    [Prized Pie] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    "It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."

I'll bite.

I remember when:

-We had the 100% evade cloak

-I found the /hug emote god mode

-Back door into GA

-Back door into Fornost

-The day before Erid Luin was opened, Me and a few others used one of my favorite land seams to get to Angmar and Erid. Erid was done more or less, but Angmar was floating 5000 ft up in the air

-Using my favorite land seam, I farmed Helegrod months and moths before it was released.

-When I got back into closed beta after being banned for the Helegrod stunt.

-When Mad Baggins ruled. 6-Manned everything.

-Conjunctions actully were good.

-Pots were sold at a vendor and had no cooldown

Finally, I'll always remember when back in beta a 6-man Burg group could do 42 conjunctions in a span of 5m.

Had a blast taking a all burg group through fornost, and had to use a conjunction on every single mob in there before we could kill em
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000fd8b5/signature.png]Grampsith[/charsig]

ooooh I remember the infinity pots! Also known as never die.

I remember when:

~ There was a "rest" function that acted like the best food items, but as soon as the timer ran up (like the one you have while you're eating) you got back all your morale and power.

~ Gandalf was voiced by a fellow with a high-pitched cockney accent (I am NOT kidding).

~ The game would occassionally freeze during the first phase of the beta, and if you were unfortunate enough to try jumping, you would go up but not down -- you'd just keep going up without stopping, until the game started back up again... and you came crashing back down to Middle-earth.

~ Athelas was sold by vendors, and had no cooldown.

~ I remember the "suicidal" horses at the stable in Ered Luin that were pathed to jump off the cliffs between Celondim and Duillond.

~ I remember "The lagging of Gondamon" which prevented people from travelling through the Low Lands without nearly getting stuck.

~ I remember when burglars couldn't steal anything.

~ I remember when characters mapping to Thorin's Hall ended up in the tutorial instance, even if they were level 50.

~ And finally, I can remember the first crafting fair held at the Party Tree (which may have been the only one, to my knowledge) .
    Last edited by Gumawerian; Jun 27 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    Yeah, I named mine "Elinore" thinking it would be a little more obscure (plus it almost sounds like a Sindarin name) but alas, I've seen a couple of others with their raven named exactly the same.

What is it about ravens in the Collective Consciousness of the English speaking world that make us instinctively equate them with E. A. Poe regardless of the setting? I think we need to consult a fifth-generation Jungian Psychologist for an answer to that riddle.
    Perhaps Poe's poem is the only place they've ever heard of a raven?

I named mine "Grok." (That o should have a slash through it.) Danish for what the raven says.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

haha yeah i remember the jump bug ...

"oh noes I'm lagging out" ..... *jump* *jump* *slam the space bar over and over and over*
    -game reloads
    -a billion feet in the air
    "AHHHHHH!"
    -fall

But you didn't die!!! No death from falling!

I once reloaded under the world and ran around looking up on everything lol.

I remember the endless pots and being able to duo blackwing with my minstrel and a heraldless captain. Took us what seemed like over 10 minutes to kill it while the captain was melee'ing the whole time and I was healing. Even though we had those no timer potions and tons of them it still was quite close several times and actually quite a lot of fun and exciting.

Before there were enough freeps to actually flip a keep, we would wait for the server restarts (all the keeps reverted to original ownership) so that we could run into the 'moors to get and turn in quests to get tokens of valour *hoping* that the GV chest (there was only one kind) would have some nice loot.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast