We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Milarien is offline The Sociable
    The Healer
    House of Finwë
    Audience Member
    Mae Govannen

Chat Controls and Spam

The improvements to spam control lately have been great. However, I find my characters apparently falling afoul of the new controls, and while most are a minor inconvenience (having to wait a couple seconds to correct accidental misinformation / typos), today I ran into one that was a little over the top.

Some background: I started playing in closed beta. My primary character has a /played of 7 months 3 weeks 2 days 3 hours 42 minutes 35 seconds. I have a ton of other toons on various servers. I've played a boatload. I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between a character on one of my main, lifetime accounts, and a character on my F2P or a spammer's account.

Unfortunately, I needed to clear some sensitive information off my chat window prior to taking a screenshot, but I didn't want to remove all the UI because I wanted to do a /mountrearup for the screenshot. So, I checked and was alone in an area with no one else around, and did a few /says to clear off the window (yeah, I know, I should have just used a new window with nothing in it, stupid me). Anyway, apparently that was enough for a chat gag, which I'm assuming was automatic (not reported), because I used say, there was literally no one anywhere around to have noticed, and it was immediate. I had to open a ticket to get it fixed.

They did fix it immediately, which is also appreciated. I just thought a few of these restrictions might be a bit much, if it's possible to see if there's any type of slightly less restrictive stuff, great -- if not, I totally understand. I just like having a pristine record, and now I don't. /mourn.
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), various other Mils et al
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!)
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta (on Meneldor)

Milarien, et al (Hunter, Minstrel, Rune-keeper)
    Better Biscuit Bureau (Treebeard)

Quote Originally Posted by Milarien View Post
    Unfortunately, I needed to clear some sensitive information off my chat window prior to taking a screenshot, but I didn't want to remove all the UI because I wanted to do a /mountrearup for the screenshot. So, I checked and was alone in an area with no one else around, and did a few /says to clear off the window
    I use the Floaty names on/off toggle repeatedly (press "N") to clear the chat window, it works well since no one else can see the text spam, however you will have to wait for the message on the screen telling you what you just did to disappear before taking the screenshot, and you will also have to have the chat filters set to show Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Milarien View Post
    They did fix it immediately, which is also appreciated. I just thought a few of these restrictions might be a bit much, if it's possible to see if there's any type of slightly less restrictive stuff, great -- if not, I totally understand. I just like having a pristine record, and now I don't. /mourn.
    I feel the same way!
    I got muted myself for testing lyrics in the privacy of my own house in LOTRO, so I couldn't bother anyone, but hopefully we still have pristine records since we didn't do anything bad and just got hit by the auto-mute by accident
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb