We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Asking for RP Advice on getting a Legendary weapon on a non-combat character

One of my characters, Calico Tillerman, I play fairly strict RP: he is a Hobbit Minstrel who does not know he is a hero. He spends his time farming, cooking, attending holiday events, and occasionally helps around The Shire by weeding out slugs, flies, the occasional spider, etc. He does not yet know that his musical skills can provide adventuring benefits, so when he finds himself in combat, he limits himself to basic melee attacks. However, his skill at brewing is well-renowned, and the various communities of Ered Luin, Bree, the North Downs, and even Rivendell have requested his ales during times of festival, so he has found reason to visit the major townships west of the Misty Mountains.

But now, after years of playing this way, he's advanced past level 50. I want the experience he continues to gain to apply to a Legendary weapon as well. However, I've been stuck at coming up with an RP reason for him to set out on the Legendary quests to the Gates of Moria and get involved with the heroic endeavors there.

An obvious answer is: why get one at all? Why does a non-combat character need a legendary weapon? Well, at this moment, he doesn't. However, the long-term plan is for him to eventually get wrapped up in the momentous events occurring around him, but I haven't had the real-life time to play that out in RP. While that develops, I'd be happier if the experience he gains advances his weapon as well so he's better equipped for that coming time.

Does anyone have any RP ideas for what would motivate a non-combat character to get involved at the events at the Gates of Moria in order to acquire their ability to level legendary weapons?

Thank you for any thoughts you have.

The first one that just jumped out at me would be either hearing or finding fragments of a lost epic (song) and he leaves home to try to find the rest / complete it. Or he could be commissioned to write an epic tale about Pippin, Merry or whoever and wants first hand information to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Does anyone have any RP ideas for what would motivate a non-combat character to get involved at the events at the Gates of Moria in order to acquire their ability to level legendary weapons?

Calico Tillerman bolted upright in his bed, his heart pumping faster than a startled deer, sweat covering his forehead, and a rumbling in his belly.
    "My oh my!" he stated after catching his breath, "what a dream I just had!"
    Mirkwood Elf. Champion. Events Officer of Second Breakfast, Crickhollow. Band Leader of Alt Rock Band.
    https://crickhollowmusic.guildlaunch.com

Hearken back to the days of yesteryear, when once the greatest crafters of the realm found themselves wandering the wilderlands in search of that one special ingredient they needed for a special recipe...

Perhaps?

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Maybe he meets stoned as #### one of the dwarves from the expedition.. They ask him for help and he lives for that one adventure the life of a warrior!

He was traveling to find the mitical Maur Tulhau (that he hear about when was a kid) and stoped to rest in Echad Dúnann. A dwarf ask him help to fight some wolfs, and the helpful Mr. Tillerman promptly agreed. But other dwarf asked to find some stones, and delivery some pickaxes, and someting else... And like many times in our lives, he are involved in a sittuation he don't asked for. Now with a ancient sword fighting a gigantic monster! "My oh my!" He think in give this to Mathom when finally go home... But this Songbook look interesting, after all why not? Why shouldn't I keep it?
    - Landroval
    scharf | celegurth | hadordelu | istadelw | laerorthadan | gelluist | ristatin

A letter arrives in your mailbox. It reads, "Attention: Mister Calico Tillerman, Shire Brewmaster".

Inside, you find a letter penned in bold, sweeping strokes.

Mister Calico Tillerman,

My name is Tulk and I write you at the behest of Lord Bósi and Lord Brogur, Longbeard dwarves of the most courageous and upstanding character.

High in the Misty Mountains lies the great stronghold of dwarves called Khazad-dûm. Many centuries ago, the rightful lords of this magnificent fortification were wrongfully and violently expelled, forced into miserable exile. Long have the dwarves endured this terrible injustice and long have they waited to reclaim their ancestral homes. After many years of preparation, Lord Bósi and Lord Brogur have assembled the invincible Iron Garrison expedition for purpose of reclaiming Khazad-dûm and winning the right of return for all dwarves.

An expedition comprised of so many brave and hearty dwarves also requires great stores of material and provisions. Due to an unforeseen difficulty, a goodly quantity of ale secured for our foray was rendered unsuitable for consumption. Seeking to rectify this situation, I was tasked by Lord Bósi to find a Brewmaster of surpassing skill, versed in the making of proper dwarven ale. After numerous inquiries with regards this matter, the name Calico Tillerman was often mentioned with high praise.

At the order of Lord Bósi of the Longbeards, I do hereby extend to Mister Calico Tillerman the honor and privaledge of working for the Iron Garrison as head Brewmaster. In exchange for your services and agreement to serve the Iron Garrison for a period of one year, you will receive hearty compensation, a number of assistants to expedite your work, and lodging within our Company. Never before have the Longbeards extended such high honor to a hobbit, but your accomplished history speaks to your character with such favor, Lord Bósi feels the exception both warranted and necessary.

Please find enclosed full directions to the Iron Garrison staging area in High Hollin of Eregion, a letter of introduction, and a small stipend to cover your travel expenses.

We eagerly await your arrival as Shire Brewmaster of the Iron Garrison.

Sincerely,
    Mister Tulk of the Longbeards
    Last edited by SophieTheEnchantress; Feb 18 2020 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Oh, what misery doth a mistyped word bring.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

Erionor is offline Captain of Gondor, showed quality
    ^^^^^^^^^^

What she said

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^

What she said
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heartily /seconded!

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.