We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Rings of Power

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Mind the context, Regardless of what Sauron had to do to keep the disparate groups of Orcs who were under his command from fighting amongst themselves, a group of Orcs could evidently form some sort of collective tribal identity *for themselves* if given half a chance. As I said, they had to be able to do that or they'd have never managed to survive in the wild. There was that period of a thousand years or so after Morgoth's downfall when Sauron was nowhere to be seen but there were surviving bands of Orcs in the world. That couldn't have happened if Orcs left to their own devices would simply murder each other.
    Yeah that all goes well with creating their own petty realms.

You only have to look at what Gorbag says:

'What d'you say? – if we get a chance, you and me'll slip off and set up
    somewhere on our own with a few trusty lads, somewhere where there's
    good loot nice and handy, and no big bosses.'

So the spin you've made neglects things like that. If they hated each other so much then it wouldn't even occur to them to think of going off and forming their own gang, nor think of any of the 'lads' as 'trusty'.
    There is no spin. And you neglect here that in fact they both are Black Uruks, in the book. They been portrait differently in the movie but in the book they both are Black Uruks (Uruks of Mordor). And even than, Gorbag was killed by Shagrat, and Shagrat later by Sauron.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    There is no spin. And you neglect here that in fact they both are Black Uruks, in the book. They been portrait differently in the movie but in the book they both are Black Uruks (Uruks of Mordor). And even than, Gorbag was killed by Shagrat, and Shagrat later by Sauron.
    Where did Tolkien say Uruks behaved all that differently, as opposed to simply being bigger, stronger and able to tolerate sunlight? And what happened later has nothing to do with what they said to each other there. They didn't have a reason to turn on each other, yet.

One more thing, the common Orcs of Moria cared enough to go looking for revenge for their fallen leader (the big Black Uruk who knocks Boromir over and spears Frodo, in the book) and they were just typical Orcs, So they were acting tribally, too. If Uruks were bolder and more aggressive, that was probably because they were larger and stronger (and likely well-trained too) and hence more confident.

Where did Tolkien say Uruks behaved all that differently, as opposed to simply being bigger, stronger and able to tolerate sunlight?
    Nowhere. That was bad example as you proved my point

One more thing, the common Orcs of Moria cared enough to go looking for revenge for their fallen leader (the big Black Uruk who knocks Boromir over and spears Frodo, in the book) and they were just typical Orcs, So they were acting tribally, too. If Uruks were bolder and more aggressive, that was probably because they were larger and stronger (and likely well-trained too) and hence more confident.
    I never argued about tribal part, an contrary.

4. Nov 05 2022, 03:10 PM

A bit of RoP news, in passing: 7 new actors in recurring roles, and they've recast the role of Adar (what a great start for S2, recasting one of the few roles that really worked...)

https://www.gamesradar.com/rings-of-...cast-new-cast/

6. Dec 02 2022, 01:00 PM

7. Dec 02 2022, 01:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    Meaning 7 more distracting plot points or at least 3 more distracting "PoVs" in something that was already suffering from being overcrowded and not much happening?
    Well, Nori and Totally-not-Gandalf were going to go off into the East so that implies some new faces.

Nicholas Woodeson is a good character actor (he's been in all sorts of things) and I recognised his face straight away. Ben Daniels has done all sorts of stuff as well. I only hope the writers manage to come up with some decent dialogue for them.

LOL, seriously? I guess they never checked Tumblr - that's one crucial "hottie" girls obsessed over gone... well, gotta prop that Haladriel even more now! Maybe that's their strategy here..
    Well, the new bloke's not bad looking, give him chance

I never thought I would see the day when more Lord of the Rings doesn't interest me in the least. This show just killed it for me.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

10. Dec 03 2022, 11:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Isn't a 4/3 split representative of the english speaking world? Even if they just randomly chose names of actors out of a hat they'd get something like this. Please, there's enough bad about the show you can put down your race crusade.
    Well, English speaking world of today maybe (I can't believe that in conversations like this something super obvious like colonialism and associated "migration" through slavery gotta be pointed out, or 20-21st century migration policies/colonialism and decolonialism and how all of it shaped the spread of many different ethnicities around the globe). Doesn't mean that's how you supposed to adapt Tolkien that's based on..... archaic world. Now, no race crusade, actually, since you brought that term to the table... I'm fine with any race. But I doubt they're Haradrim or somehow geographically feasible Well, maybe Rhun, but then again doesn't mean it'll be a natural feel either way, I can already guess, something like a black dude an Emperor of Rhun but then you have others who look like that female Nazgul cult, for example, and no other blacks/clans/etc in sight (vs how House of the Dragon did it, where, even though that was a race swap, they actually have entire black house in there with their specific dark-skinned origins in Valyria, so they feel like they belong both according to logic and the setting)
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; Dec 04 2022 at 10:12 AM.

Anyway, I just wanted to say this: VA in the new skirmish nailed it. That one dialogue from Sauron/Annatar was better to witness than the entirety of laughable Rings of Power. Reminded me of Aaravos from Dragon Prince, albeit more malicious and sadistic. "I am all that awaits you, Celebrimbor" Bravo. If RoP got at least 50% of that vibe/premise/characterization, could have been a great show (and a lot of folks obsessed with hottie Sauron or Celebrimbor x Sauron too... )

13. Dec 05 2022, 03:39 AM

I liked Joseph Mawle playing the character of Adar, I thought he was one of the good parts, shame hes out, hopefully the next actor filling his shoes will be as good.

Also today 8 more actors have join the project on top of the 7 that was announced a week ago Deadline - The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power’ Adds 8 To Season 2 Cast
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

3 Actors have join the Rings of Power cast, arguably biggest name is Ciaran Hinds has joined, most are guessing he would play Cirdan, even long before this announcement he was fancast as for it, but will see in time who the Actors play.
    TheOneRing.net - Final New Casting Announced for Rings of Power Season Two
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19